This recipe for sugar cookies is probably the only recipe you will ever need. It is so simple, easy to follow, and the dough doesn’t require chilling before rolling. And the best part is, they keep their shape while baked (with only a little bit of expanding). The frosting is also really simple to make and apply, so you will be making these often.
*Some of the links that I am using are affiliate links. That means if you follow them and purchase something, I would earn a little commission at no extra cost to you. I use affiliate links so I can promote products and services that I use and think are excellent. It also helps me monetize this site so I can keep on creating content for you. Thank you so much. I love you all!!!*
I like making these snowflake sugar cookies, no matter what time of the year, because I like snow and winter, but also because these are really decorative, and everyone loves them.
When you make this recipe, you will notice how soft and chewy sugar cookies are. But if you want you can bake them a little bit more to get them on the crunchy side.
You might also like:
- Snowy White Wine Tea Cakes
- Hazelnut & Chocolate Gluten-Free Cookies
- Double Chocolate & Almonds Cookies
- Fragrant Gingerbread Cookies with Royal Icing
The Best Sugar Cookies You’ll Ever Make
The dough that you get is suitable for any type of cut-out cookies that you like and can hold a lot of icing/frosting. For this particular recipe, I like using my lemon icing, but you can also use royal icing if you want (Get the recipe for The Lightest Royal Icing Here).
While making this recipe, you might notice that your dough is a little bit sticky, which can happen if your egg is really large. Don’t be alarmed, all you need to do is add a little bit more of flour. When measuring the flour, don’t pack your cup, or the dough will be too dry. If that happens just add a small amount of water (a teaspoon at a time) until you get the right consistency. The consistency should be like the play-doh.
What is your favorite frosting for sugar cookies? I would like to hear about it in the comments below.
Yields 36 cookies
Simple recipe for frosted sugar cookies that doesn't require dough chilling time.
20 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (+ 1/2 cup more if needed)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Juice of 1/2 of lemon
- Granulated sugar
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F), and line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Using whisk or mixer, cream unsalted butter and sugar, until fluffy. Then add an egg and vanilla extract mix until well combined.
- Sift in flour, baking powder, and salt. Combine everything into a soft dough, using your hands or wooden spoon. The dough should not be sticky. If it sticks to your hands add more flour.
- You DON'T NEED to chill the dough.
- Lightly flour working surface and rolling-pin. Roll the dough to the 0.5 cm (1/4 inch) thick, and cut out shapes using cookie cutters you want. Place them on the cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake your sugar cookies in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes, until they are set. There SHOULDN'T be any goldening happen.
- Transfer cookies onto a cooling rack, and let them cool down completely, before decorating.
- For decorations, whisk together powdered sugar and lemon juice. If the icing is too thick add more lemon juice (just a few drops), and if it's too thin, just add more powdered sugar.
- Ice your sugar cookies with lemon icing, using a palette knife or the back of a spoon, and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Leave the sugar cookies in cold dry place for few hours to set, then serve. Enjoy!
Did you enjoy this recipe? I would like to hear what you think in the comments below. If you make it don’t forget to post it on Instagram and tag me @simply.anchy, because I love to see all of your kitchen creations. Also be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook, so that you never miss any of my recipes and posts.
Would you like to serve healthy meals to your family every day of the week, but you can't seem to find enough time for cooking?
A little bit of planning ahead will solve this problem! Let me show you how to easily and efficiently meal plan and prep your food for the best cooking results! This course is TOTALLY FREE, all you need to do is sign up for our Newsletter below!