Satarash (originally sataraš) is a traditional South-Eastern European stew-like dish made out of onions, bell peppers and ripe tomatoes. My mother makes it, and her mother used to make it, and now I am making it. This dish is one of the rare vegetable dishes that children LOVE to eat. I grew up eating it, and every time I smell the scent of fried onions and bell peppers, my mount starts to water.
If you ask anyone from Bosnia, Serbia or Croatia, what do they think about satarash, they will most certainly say that is ”Grandma’s Dish!”, and in most cases they used to eat it with rice. It is usually made at the end of the Summer and beginning of the Autumn, and it is really easy to make. Satarash is really great way to use those over-ripe tomatoes, that you can’t cut into slices anymore, and also to use bell peppers that started to wrinkle, and not tossing them into trash or compost.
Don’t know what to make with ripe tomatoes? Try recipe for Tomato and Basil Bruschetta.
As I said, making satarash is really easy. You don’t even have to follow the amounts of ingredients. You can use as much of the tomatoes and bell peppers as you have. All you need to do is sauté some onions on a little bit of oil, then add bell peppers and sauté for few minutes. Add cubed tomatoes, season with salt and black pepper, lower the heat and cook (stirring regularly) until almost all liquid is evaporated, and bell peppers are soft. And voila! It is as easy as that. Now all you need is a bowl of rice, and you have delicious and healthy dinner for your family to enjoy.
Satarash is also great on burgers and as a side dish to any meat. You can make it for BBQ parties, and everyone will love it. Now let’s make satarash…
Traditional Balkan Satarash
- 3 medium onions
- 700 g (1.5 lbs) bell peppers
- 700 g (1.5 lbs) ripe tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Slice onions, dice bell peppers and roughly chop tomatoes. If you like finer texture you can finely dice onions and bell peppers. Tomatoes lose their shape anyway.
- Heat olive oil in a deep pan over medium high heat. Then add onions and sauté them until they soften and turn translucent, 2-3 minutes.
- Add diced bell peppers and sauté until peppers soften a little bit, 4-5 minutes.
- Now it is time to add tomatoes. Mix everything, and reduce heat to medium low.
- Season with salt and black pepper, and let simmer for about 30 minutes. Stir every 5-6 minutes, just to make sure nothing sticks to the bottom. Tomatoes will let out the water, and we have to simmer until almost all the liquid disappears and bell peppers are soft and cooked through.
- You can serve it over some steamed rice, on the burger, as a side veggie dish, or eat it alone as it is (my favorite!).
I hope that you will enjoy making this recipe, because it is one of my favorites, and I can’t imagine someone not liking satarash. If you make it, and decide to share your creation with the world on Instagram, feel free to tag me @simply.anchy, because I really like seeing all delicious recipes that you make.
Also if you like satarash, don’t be shy and share this post with your friends on Pinterest, Facebook, and other social media networks! I think that everything that is good needs to be shared with the world. That is why I share my recipes with you.