I believe that we all need to have at least one really good recipe for the roasted chicken in our repertoire. It is often easy to make, it can please a crowd, and in most cases you have leftovers to use in other recipes. That is why I am sharing with you this simple and versatile recipe for Mediterranean roasted chicken. Trust me, you are going to love it!
*Some of the links that I am using are affiliate links. That means if you follow them and purchase something, I would earn a little commission at no extra cost to you. I use affiliate links so I can promote products and services that I use and think are excellent. It also helps me monetize this site so I can keep on creating content for you. Thank you so much. I love you all!!!*
As long as I can remember, every time when mom would say that she is preparing dinner with meat, that had to be chicken. That’s because my brother and I only wanted to eat chicken, and not any other meat. Of course that’s not the case now, but then we just didn’t want to eat any other kind of meat. Just chicken! And, honestly, sometimes I think that even today I could go without red meat. I do eat it now, mostly because of my husband, ’cause he likes diversity in the kitchen, but I believe that the chicken is enough.
Roasted Chicken for Pleasing a Crowd
As I said, we all need one good recipe for roasted chicken, and I believe that this one is THE ONE!
I know there are so many different ways to prepare roasted chicken, but trust me when I tell you that this one is very, very, VERY DELICIOUS! And it is really easy to make. It is made all at once, in one roasting dish. And you can use any kind of vegetables you like for the base! The key ingredients are the olive oil, herbs and honey. Yes! The honey goes really nice with all the other flavors, and it is not going to be too sweet.
With this recipe you will end up with most wonderful broth at the bottom of roasting dish, and you can use it any way you want! Sometimes I make the gravy out of it, and sometimes I use it to cook the rice or flavor the potatoes the next day.
Do you have any interesting ideas of how to use this delicious broth? I would love to hear your opinions in the comments below.
Roasting dish is your BFF!
To roast the chicken, or any meat and veggies, you can use any kind of roasting dish. But I honestly believe that investing in good deep roasting dish is worth it. Especially if it comes with the lid. That way all the juices are kept inside during the cooking process, and you remove the lid only at the end to get that golden and crispy skin.
There are many different sizes of roasting dishes, and it is up to you which one you want to buy. I would only recommend that you take the one made out of some kind of metal, because those are lighter in weight and easier to handle.
Don’t have enough time? There is another way!
Here is one extra tip for roasting a chicken! If you want to cut the roasting time in half, all you have to do is to butterfly the chicken or to cut it in pieces. To butterfly the chicken all you have to do is to remove the backbone using the kitchen scissors, and to flatten the chicken by pressing the top of the breasts with the palm of your hand. And that’s it! For the step-by-step guide with pictures follow this link.
Now let’s get on to business!
Mediterranean Roasted Chicken
- 4 onions
- 450 g carrots
- 1/2 celeriac
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1 cup of water
- 4 stalks of rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 whole chicken
- Sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Clean and peal your veggies and cut into big chunks, and put them in a deep roasting dish.
- In a small bowl mix oil, honey, thyme and oregano, and pour over the veggies.
- Add bay leaves and rosemary stalks to the roasting dish.
- Season chicken with sea salt and black pepper, and put over the veggies. The fat from the chicken will flavor the veggies and make wonderful basis for the gravy.
- (Optional) If you want your chicken to be done in almost half the time, you can ”butterfly it”. Using kitchen scissors, cut out the backbone and flatten the chicken by pressing the chest bone with the bottom of your palm. ***Here is the instruction on how to do it***
- Put the lid on roasting dish (if your roasting dish doesn’t come with lid, DON’T PANIC, you can always use aluminum foil as cover) and put everything in the preheated oven.
- Roast with the lid on for about an hour, and then take the lid off, and roast until the chicken skin is golden, the inner temperature of the chicken breasts is 75°C (165°F), and veggies are soft and tender.
- You can serve everything as it is or you can cut the chicken and serve with veggies on the serving dish, and use that wonderful broth at the bottom of the roasting dish and make gravy.
Did you enjoy this recipe? I would like to hear what you think in the comments below. If you make it don’t forget to post it on Instagram and tag me @simply.anchy, because I love to see all of your kitchen creations. Also be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook, so that you never miss any of my recipes and posts.