A lot of people think that making jam is tedious work, that takes you a whole day to do. But it actually isn’t. With just a few ingredients you can make the most delicious jam to use in sandwiches, on biscuits or toast. The same goes for this GLORIOUS strawberry jam. So, if you want to know how to make it, you’re in the right place.
Recently, I’ve posted a guide on how to freeze fresh strawberries, and many of you asked for a recipe for strawberry jam as well. So, I’ve decided to share this delicious “secret” with you. 😉
Even though I could go to the farmer’s market and pick up some strawberry jam, or even buy it at the supermarket, I always choose to make it by myself. That way I am sure that I have bought the best strawberries, that are not sprayed with pesticides. Also, I can pronounce all the ingredients that I put in it. And most importantly, this strawberry jam always tastes MUCH BETTER than any store-bought stuff. 100% Guarantee!
With just a little patience, you will have THE BEST strawberry jam that everyone will love, especially your family.
Here are some tips to make the perfect strawberry jam
- Use organic strawberries if possible, because most of the times they are treated with pesticides.
- Always wash the fruits, even if they are pre-washed.
- Make the jam as smooth or as chunky as you like.
- If the „scum“ starts to form, you can remove it throughout the cooking process, but it will disappear as the jam cooks.
- Pour the jam into warm sterilized jars while still hot. Fill the jars almost to the top, and put the lids on straight away.
This recipe does call for a larger amount of sugar, but it’s the sugar that is going to preserve it from going bad. You can keep this jam in your pantry for up to a year. I know for a fact that my Mom (from whom I’ve got this recipe) even has last year’s strawberry jam on her pantry shelf. That is because she makes lots of jams throughout the year in large amounts, so we don’t manage to eat them all. 🙂
Now let’s make the best strawberry jam ever.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comment below, and I’ll be glad to help you!
Yields 2 12-oz jars
A very easy recipe for strawberry jam, that doesn’t call for pectin. It is full of flavor and can be kept in the pantry for a long time.
5 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 1 kg (2 lb) fresh strawberries
- 2 cups sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Wash strawberries and remove stems. Half and quarter larger ones.
- Place them in the cooking pot and add sugar.
- Cook on medium-high heat, stirring every once in a while. When the jam starts to boil, crash larger pieces with a potato masher and stir more often.
- Cook for 35-40 minutes. To check for doneness, take one teaspoon of jam and place it on a cold plate, and if it’s too runny cook for additional few minutes*.
- In the end, stir in the lemon juice and pour into warm sterilized jars and put the lids on while still hot.
- Let it cool down completely**. Enjoy!
*Strawberry jam can never be thick as other jams. The only way to get it turned into the gel is to add pectin.
**Prepared this way, strawberry jam can be kept on the pantry shelf for up to a year.
Did you enjoy this post? I would like to hear what you think in the comments below. If you make it don’t forget to post it on Instagram and tag me @simply.anchy or use hashtag #simplyanchyrecipe, because I love to see all of your kitchen creations. Also be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook, so that you never miss any of my recipes and posts.
Would you like to serve healthy meals to your family every day of the week, but you can't seem to find enough time for cooking?
A little bit of planning ahead will solve this problem! Let me show you how to easily and efficiently meal plan and prep your food for the best cooking results! This course is TOTALLY FREE, all you need to do is sign up for our Newsletter below!