I honestly believe that we all have at least one special recipe that we make only when we have some kind of celebration. And if I had to choose which recipe is the one that I like the most, I would pick this one – my mom’s buttery flaky bread rolls. These are so soft that they almost melt in your mouth, and I think that is something worth sharing with the entire world. So read to post, make these amazing bread rolls, and you’ll want to pass the recipe along as well.
*Some of the links that I am using are affiliate links. That means if you follow them and purchase something, I will earn a little commission at no extra cost to you. I use affiliate links so I can promote products and services that I use and think are excellent. It also helps me monetize this site so I can keep on creating content for you. Thank you so much. I love you all!!!*
Ever since I can remember my Mom used to make these flaky bread rolls for Christmas dinner. And there is also one special Christmas tradition here in Bosnia – you put one coin inside one of the rolls. Whoever finds it – he/she will have a lot of money and luck throughout the year. I don’t know if it’s truth or not, but that is something that we do around here, and we always look forward to it.
I make these rolls for Easter as well, even though there isn’t any special tradition about them, like for Christmas. But trust me, no matter what holiday or special occasion, when we make these flaky bread rolls they’re the first that get eaten.
You might also like:
The only reason why I don’t make these rolls on a regular basis is that they’re time-consuming. Even though you don’t have to monitor them all time, they need a lot of time to be done. That is why I only make them when we are having a big family gathering, or some kind of celebration (like Christmas, Easter, birthdays, etc.) when we expect a lot of guests. And I think it’s worth of any minute of kneading, rising and buttering.
When they get out of the oven, you will be tempted to eat them all at once. That mouthwatering smell of freshly baked buttery bread rolls, that melts in your mouth, is exactly the reason why I wanted to share the recipe with you so that you can enjoy it with your family too.
Do you have some favorite recipe that you make on special occasions only? Share them in the comments below.
Yields 12 rolls
Soft and fluffy buttery bread rolls that will melt in your mouth. The recipe is a bit time consuming, but it's worth every minute.
3 hr, 45 Prep Time
1 hrCook Time
4 hr, 45 Total Time
- 1kg bread flour
- 500ml lukewarm water
- 1 Tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 Tbsp sea salt
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 Tbsp distilled white vinegar
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 sticks of softened butter, divided
- In a big bowl combine bread flour and sea salt, and mix well. Add yeast, sugar, olive oil, vinegar, and water, and mix everything with your hands until combined.
- Transfer the dough to the floured working surface and start kneading. Knead the dough for 8-10 minutes, until it becomes elastic and stops sticking to your hands. Add more flour if the dough is too sticky.
- Put the dough back into the bowl, cover with cling-film and let it rise in warm place for a couple of hours, until doubled in size.
- Flour the working surface and take the risen dough out of the bowl. Using a rolling-pin, roll the dough into a big rectangle (½" thick). Spread softened butter over ½ of the dough, then bring the other half over the buttered side. Now again spread some butter over ½ and bring the other half over. Cover the dough with clean kitchen towel and let it rise for 30 minutes or so.
- Repeat the step 4 one more time. Again let the dough rise for 30 minutes.
- After second rest, roll the dough again into a long rectangle and now spread the rest of the softened butter over entire surface of the dough. Starting at the longer side, tightly roll the dough into a long cylinder.
- Butter a rimmed baking pan and set aside.
- Cut the dough cylinder into 12 equal portions, using a sharp knife, and arrange them into a prepared baking pan, spacing evenly. Cover with kitchen towel and let them rise for another 30 minutes, or until they come together and are doubled in size.
- Preheat your oven to 190°C (375°F).
- When your rolls are ready, put them in preheated oven and bake for around 1 hour, until they are golden brown.
- Let your bread rolls cool down for 15-20 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Did you enjoy this post? I would like to hear what you think in the comments below. If you make it don’t forget to post it on Instagram and tag me @simply.anchy or use hashtag #gimmetheyum, because I love to see all of your kitchen creations. Also be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook, so that you never miss any of my recipes and posts.
Would you like to serve healthy meals to your family every day of the week, but you can't seem to find enough time for cooking?
A little bit of planning ahead will solve this problem! Let me show you how to easily and efficiently meal plan and prep your food for the best cooking results! This course is TOTALLY FREE, all you need to do is sign up for our Newsletter below!