Do you ever get into that moment when you just NEED to make and eat something sweet, but you don’t know what? Well, that happens me a lot lately. And this is one of those recipes that I made using ingredients that I have and not any special recipe. My family loved how it turned out, so now I have to make it almost all the time. That is why I decided to share this simple recipe for apple cider syrup and banana squares with you. Maybe it sounds a bit strange combination, but keep on reading and you will see that it really works.
*Some of the links that I am using are affiliate links. That means if you follow them and purchase something, I would earn a little commission at no extra cost to you. I use affiliate links so I can promote products and services that I use and think are excellent. It also helps me monetize this site so I can keep on creating content for you. Thank you so much. I love you all!!!*
As I said, I came up with this recipe not so while ago, while I was sitting and reading, and all of a sudden I had the urge to eat something sweet. To be honest, I am not a big of a fan of buying chocolates and other sweets to have on hand, so I need to make sweets when I want to eat them. For some reason I find that to be very helpful in maintaining a healthy weight, and still being able to eat everything I want. Anyways, I went through my pantry and kitchen and came up with this special recipe.
The first idea was to make banana muffins because I had a couple of bananas that were about to be over-ripe, but I wanted to use just a regular baking pan because I was lazy for doing dishes, and washing muffin tin. And there you have it, I’ve made these soft and delicious apple cider syrup and banana squares.
Here is the recipe for my Banana Bread Chocolate Chip Muffins, if you have missed it.
Apple Cider Syrup – Natural sweetener
Instead of using regular white sugar, or any other sugar, in this recipe, I have decided to use apple cider syrup, which is a natural sweetener and is absolutely sugar-free. You can make it by your self, but it takes very long time, so I always decide to buy it. It is really healthy and you can use it in your teas, over the pancakes, in vinaigrette, and so on. There is a number of possibilities. It is a great substitute for maple syrup or molasses.
Apple cider syrup has a very light sweetness and a bit of tartness of apples, and it is packed with iron, and that is where the dark color comes from.
If you decide to make your own apple cider syrup, this is how you can do it:
- Take the gallon of apple cider and pour it into the deep cooking pan over the medium-high heat.
- When it comes to boil, turn the heat down to low, and let it simmer away for 2-3 hours. You need to stir it every once in a while.
- While it cooks away the color will start to get darker, and consistency will become more and more syrupy. Make it as thick (or as thin) as you want.
- Pour it into sterilized jars or bottles, and you can keep it on the shelf for a very long time.
These squares are great for breakfast and snack
I really enjoy eating sweet for breakfast and as a snack, and these apple cider syrup and banana squares are great for both. They are sweet enough to satisfy any sweet tooth, but because they don’t contain sugar, they are actually healthy for you. And to make it even more healthy snack option, I topped them with crushed hazelnuts and almonds, but if you want you can absolutely leave them out.
You might also like:
- Banana Bread Muffins with Chocolate Chips
- Wheat-Free Banana Bread
- Zucchini Savory Breakfast Muffins
- The Perfect Caramel Apple Crumble
You are probably wondering why am I using bananas? Well, I realized that bananas are also a natural sweetener and they make this recipe really soft and fluffy and add some extra fiber. You are not going to be able to taste them, so if you want you can leave them out, or substitute with applesauce.
This recipe is really easy to make. Just mix everything together in a bowl, pour it into a prepared baking pan, and bake it. That’s it! You can also modify the recipe, and use different measures of ingredients, just make sure to adjust the baking time.
I really hope that you will enjoy this recipe, as much as I do. Please leave a comment if you have any suggestions. Now let’s make this delicious recipe!
Yields 12 squares
Soft sugar-free banana and apple cider syrup squares prefect for breakfast or snack.
5 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 2 large ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup Apple Cider Syrup (depends how sweet you want)
- 2 cups spelt flour or regular wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- A handful of roasted hazelnuts (Optional)
- A handful of almonds (Optional)
- Preheat your oven to 200°C (400°F), and line 23x33cm (9''x13'') baking pan with parchment paper, and set aside.
- Mash bananas in a bowl and add eggs, melted butter, and apple cider syrup, and whisk everything together until well combined.
- Now sift in flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt, and mix with wooden spoon until there are no lumps.
- Pour the batter into a prepared baking pan.
- Crush hazelnuts and almonds with a rolling-pin and sprinkle over the batter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
- Turn over on a cooling rack, and cool down completely before cutting and serving.
- For serving sprinkle more apple cider syrup on top and enjoy.
Did you enjoy this post? I would like to hear what you think in the comments below. If you make it don’t forget to post it on Instagram and tag me @simply.anchy or use hashtag #gimmetheyum, because I love to see all of your kitchen creations. Also be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook, so that you never miss any of my recipes and posts.
Would you like to serve healthy meals to your family every day of the week, but you can't seem to find enough time for cooking?
A little bit of planning ahead will solve this problem! Let me show you how to easily and efficiently meal plan and prep your food for the best cooking results! This course is TOTALLY FREE, all you need to do is sign up for our Newsletter below!